On today’s episode, I am joined by Alexis – one of the co-founders of Reddit, who is an important player in the angel investing area, and Andrew – the founder of Papa, a Florida-based company. Alexis invested in Andrew’s business, and they are sharing with us their entrepreneurial journey.
Alexis Ohanian co-founded Initialized Capital with Garry Tan, in 2012. Alexis’s expertise includes product, marketing, and community, and he is a prolific early-stage investor. Alexis was a co-founder of Reddit, the third-largest website in the US, which was funded by Y Combinator in 2005 and acquired by Condé Nast in 2006. He also served as a partner at Y Combinator and wrote the bestselling book Without Their Permission.
Andrew Parker is the founder and CEO of Papa – a Florida-based tech startup. He started the company to support a personal need with his grandfather. Papa provides on-demand personal assistance and socialization to seniors.
So, listen to Episode 05, to learn about the future of Florida, tech-wise, and what we can do to attract more people to start their business here.
Questions I ask:
- How did you guys meet? (07:51)
- Andrew, I saw you expanded geographically. Tell us about that. (11:52)
- Alexis, what do you think of the deal flow here in investments versus California? (12:39)
- What tech do you see coming down the road, in terms of technology, from an investment standpoint? (16:33)
- Have you had any issues with recruiting people you need? (20:43)
In this episode, you will learn:
- How Initialized was born. (02:32)
- How Papa became a business. (04:21)
- Alexis’s experience with Y Combinator. (05:26)
- The reasons why technology can never replace the human touch. (18:08)
- What Florida needs to do right now, to become an important player in the tech space. (21:22)